Our Head Chef David Friel has been running the Grill Room kitchen here at 29 Glasgow since opening in 2007.
We will be sharing some of his classic recipes for you to try at home. This week we have Pea and Ham Risotto with Poached Egg.
“Risotto can take many scrumptious directions for both the adventurous palate to the easy going taste buds. This recipe is for the love of the latter, flavoursome and loved by kids and adults alike!”
Pea and Ham Risotto with Poached Egg
Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2- 3
- 30g butter
- 100g risotto rice (Arborio)
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 300ml vegetable stock (hot)
- 75g frozen peas
- 75g small cubes of cooked ham
- 25g grated parmesan cheese
- Chopped chives
- Melt the butter in a thick bottomed pan.
- Sauté the rice and onion for 3 to 4 minutes then gradually add the stock stirring as you go. and cook for about 10 minutes (the rice should still be a bit al dente).
- Add the frozen peas and ham and cook for another 3 minutes then add the parmesan and chives and season to taste.
- Serve with a soft poached egg on top.
Poached Egg Method
- Fill a small pan just over one third full with cold water and bring it to the boil.
- Add the vinegar and turn down to simmer.
- Crack the eggs one at a time into a small bowl and gently tip into the simmering water.
- Lightly poach for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towels.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.