Our Head Chef David Friel has been running the Grill Room kitchen here at 29 Glasgow since opening in 2007.
We will be sharing some of his classic recipes for you to try at home. This week we have Asparagus, Red Onion and Arran Cheddar Quiche.
“From the end of April to the beginning of June marks the Great British asparagus season! A comforting dish that sees the woodiness of the asparagus complimented by the sharpness of the red onion and carried richly by the creaminess of the cheese – this quiche is truly a sure fired treat.”
Asparagus, Red Onion and Arran Cheddar Quiche
Time: 45 minutes
- 100g cooked sliced asparagus
- 2 whole eggs beaten
- 50ml double cream
- 50ml milk
- 2 red onions peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp each of chopped parsley and chives
- 50g grated Arran cheddar cheese
- Mix all ingredients together and season then set aside
Short crust pastry
- 225g plain flour
- 100g butter
- Pinch salt
- Cold water
- Sift the flour, add the salt and rub in the butter until the mixture goes like breadcrumbs.
- Add a splash of water and mix to a firm dough, kneed for a few minutes then dust with flour and wrap in cling film and store in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry and line your tart cases (individuals or 1 large one) and trim the edges
- Blind bake (optional) or fill with the asparagus mix and bake in a pre heated oven at 180°C for about 15 minutes until cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tart cases.